Wednesday, February 14, 2007

What's my purpose?

I am trying to figure out why we work. Do you think maybe it’s because we just need the money and this is the only way to get it? Do people actually like there job or do they just suck it up so they can survive and try to have a normal life (whatever normal may mean)?

I was walking through the plant today and I stopped to check out a piece of a project I am work on. The man working at that station came up to me and welcomed me by saying, “Good Morning”. We will call him Eric. Eric was so happy to see me because he knows I am working on designing a part of his process.

Toyota forces these team members to work straight through every second of the day. There is a break in the morning and a break in the afternoon along with a 45 minute lunch. Otherwise, these team members are moving as quickly as they can to keep up the pace. Eric was designing both the left hand and right hand pillars of the Toyota Tundra, plus transporting each completed rack to the next station.

As I look at this I start thinking to myself, “These people come here everyday to a job that is quite mindless but takes a lot a physical energy. I bet a lot of these people don’t even like what they do for a living but stick with it because the money is better than doing something they would enjoy.”

I can’t seem to stop thinking about what other occupations I could have chosen. I loved cheerleading and I would love to dance. I like to sing but was never given the opportunity to develop a voice that won’t break windows. I would love to work with children or do something to help other people. Am I helping others now or just being a selfish money lover?

Everyday I come to work early in the morning and leave late at night. Most of the time, I don’t see daylight except through the windows. My paycheck is huge but I go home to an empty apartment and a routine that’s quite boring. Ambition has somewhat dwindled since I don’t go to the gym as much as I should.

I love the work I do. I know I am helping everyone at the plant by coming up with solutions to there problems. I have been trained to find problems and practice problem solving techniques. What about the good part though? Why does there always have to be a problem?

I don’t think I am second guessing my occupation. Well in some ways I might be. But I go to work in the morning wearing the same clothes everyday with my hair pulled back ready to seat my hard cap. I am not happy with the way I look when I go to work or when I leave. I would love to have be able to dress in nice clothes like capris and heels but that can't happen at Toyota.

These are just some thoughts I've been having. UGH! Life is confusing.

No comments: